Thursday, July 1, 2010

Yosemite!

So I am finally getting around to posting about the fun vacation we took with Dave's parents and brother to Yosemite and the American River. Check out how beautiful it was!!!



Being the photography addict that I am, I think that the tale of our trip would be best told in pictures!

Day 1:
Here we all are when we first entered the Yosemite Valley!



Our first day there we headed out to hike up the mist trail to the top of Vernal Falls. Here are the falls as seen from further down the river.



Here we are at the top of the falls.





Here is a view of Vernal Falls when we climbed up even higher.



Day 2:
We went to church at the Yosemite Ward and then, after a nice Sunday nap, we took a little walk to Mirror Lake. As you can see, it's pretty easy to understand why it is called Mirror Lake.



Day 3:
We embarked upon the challenge of climbing to the top of Yosemite Falls. It was intense! Yup, after half a mile vertical gain, over seven miles of trail, and 7 and a half hours we were pretty bushed!!!





Everyone seemed to find it very refreshing to fill their hats with ice cold water from melted snow and then dump it on their heads. From the looks on their faces it seems like they are enjoying it doesn't it? =) As for me, I've taken too many bio classes to dump stream water, and it's accompanying microbes, on my head. I opted not to join in the fun!



At the top!!!






Yeah, we look really tired don't we?

Day 4:
We packed up camp and drove around the valley and checked out the villages a little before we left for our next camp site at the American River. Yosemite Valley has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.





I still can't believe that we climbed to the top of this monster!





Day 5 & 6:
Since days 5 &6 were spent on the American River white water rafting, I obviously did not bring my camera. Therefore there is a little lack of pictures from this part or our adventure. Let me just tell you, I am not really that big of an outdoors and risk-taking kind of girl, but white water rafting was AmAzInG! So much fun!!! Granted I was kind of terrified on the drive to the river, but it really wasn't that dangerous and it was super exciting!!! I totally want to go again some time! And in between the exciting parts you get to float down this beautiful river looking at all the wonderful nature and wildlife! Here is a picture of part of one of the rivers we went down.



After leaving our camp site at the American River we started the long trek home. We stopped half way and spent the night at Sunset Beach near Monterey.

Day 7:
Before piling into the car for the last leg of our journey we took a little walk on the beach. It was quite foggy and deserted but very beautiful.






It was such a fun trip! We would like to thank Bart, Melodie and John for such an amazing time!

3 comments:

  1. It was an amazing time! When I saw the pic of the falls, I can't believe we made it to the top either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful memory of such a wonderful family trip. Thanks for taking and posting the pictures for the rest of us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You got some great pictures, Megan. Great compositions. :)

    -Chanel

    ReplyDelete